Friday, January 29, 2010

My Marine

In case you didn't catch it on Facebook, here is the official blog announcement...I am married to a Marine! And I couldn't be more proud. Friday January 15, 2010 my husband went through the graduation ceremony, and was finally able to leave Parris Island, no longer Recruit Webb, but Private First Class Webb. Congratulations, Baby!

Wednesday the 13th we all drove up for the occasion. Myself and my parents, Kevin's parents, and, as Kevin's special surprise, the Johnson family (Kevin's sister, husband and kids) all the way from Miami! Thursday was Family Day, and in my opinion, the highlight of the festivities. It started off with a 7:00am "Motivational Run." We had received an excellent piece of advice from one of Kevin's Drill Instructors to make signs so that Kevin could spot us. So although the run was really nothing more than that...Kevin was able to see the signs and knew that we were there to show our support. PS - that was my favorite part. I could have thrown him in the car and left after that.

Waiting for them to pass by a second time. Like my sign?

Steam coming off their heads after the run (it was 29 degrees outside).

After the run, we had a couple hours to kill while the guys showered, changed uniforms, and who knows what else. Then there was a small ceremony, after which we were finally able to see Kevin for the first time. We had 5 hours or so of free time on base, and we took advantage of every minute of it. We went to the MCX (store) so we could stock up on Marine paraphenelia, had a picnic lunch, toured the museum and his barracks.

First hug in three months! Woo hoo!

First time seeing my fat (okay, prego) belly

Surprised that Kelly and family came to show some love!

The final surprise...Joe, childhood friend and neighbor, flew in from Toledo for the graduation. Kevin had no idea what to say when he surprised us at the museum. Thanks again, Joe!

Not allowed to hold hands while in uniform.

Two of Kevin's Drill Instructors inside his barracks.

Friday was officially graduation day. I had heard a ton about what an awesome, emotional ceremony it was going to be. So I came prepared, pocket full of kleenex, just waiting for something to blow me away. And to be honest, it was just a bunch of marching around...slow marching. I couldn't pick Kevin out of the crowd if I had wanted to, and the band got most of the attention. It was only an hour long though, so we got to see our Marine soon enough...and finally take him home!

As exciting as it got...they marched by...

One proud father!

Showing off their uniforms

With the nieces/nephew

Family photo op

Don't know how he didn't throw up after all the food he ate! This is an ice cream sandwich the size of my head!

Proud father and sister!

Thanks again to everyone who supported and prayed for us throughout this journey! It has truly been an awesome one for us. I could not be more proud of my husband and what he has accomplished over the last three months. Now it's four more months of schooling, and then he'll finally be home with me...and a brand new baby! I can't wait!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany - Family Day was my favorite of the 2 days also. I think it was just the emotion of seeing him after 3 LONG months without personal contact of any kind (other than letters). Wondered if you could "tag" Kelly on Facebook with all the picture you took on Family Day and at Graduation so when she gets the CD made through Walgreen's, ALL the pictures will be on one CD? If you could... that would be GREAT! Hoping all is well with you!