Monday, November 3, 2014

Loneliness

I imagine at some point in their lives everyone struggles with loneliness. I'll be honest, this one doesn't get me too much, because I am by nature a very introverted person. Nights alone at home don't bother me. I truly prefer to shop, get pedicures, and all do all other manner of "girly" things, which are typically done in groups, by myself. Weird? Maybe. But that's just how God hard-wired me. 


Why, then, would I choose to blog about a subject that I don't struggle with? Because over the past few months, I've heard women on multiple occasions say to myself or someone else that they're lonely. What really strikes me is that these women are Christians. Church members. Church volunteers. Employees. Mothers. Wives. And yet they still describe themselves as "lonely."

So my question is this: how are we allowing this to happen? How can we as Christians be so disconnected from one another that women...strong, brilliant, amazing women...are struggling to make the pieces fit? Has this always been a problem in Christian culture? Is the problem with us? Are we so busy creating a breed of strong, independent, Pinterest-worthy Super-moms that we've forgotten that we must first take care of ourselves?

I certainly don't have the answers here. But I think the questions are definitely worth asking. How about you? Which side of the scale do you fall on? What do you think about the culture of loneliness? Most importantly...how do we fix it?

0 comments: