Thursday, November 6, 2008

Stinky Laundry

I know people, women in particular, are always looking for the newest trend or quick tip for things around the house.  Well, at least I am.  And here is one that I stumbled upon that I found particularly interesting.  


Vinegar in the laundry.  Yes, you heard me right.  I thought I was being punk'd when our hygenist Christie suggested it, but it turns out she was correct.  Adding 1 cup of distilled white vinegar to laundry apparently acts as its own fabric softener, helps colored clothes retain their color, and get the sour smell out of towels.  Who knew that such a boring household item could do so much?

So I tried it.  On towels first of course, because who really cares if some towels get spotted or they need to be washed again?  But it turns out that was the best smelling load of towels I have ever washed!  So I will admit I have become a believer.  I have washed every load of laundry for the past two weeks with vinegar and I am loving it!  It even got some blanket which have smelled funny for months smelling amazing!  Has anyone else heard of this before?

So I thought I would pose the question:  Are there any other household tricks that you know of that make life easier?  Or might be a little unusual?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly gave me another idea using vinegar. If youf coffee pot is a little sluggish and takes a long time to brew, run a small bottle of white vinegar through it, and it does an awesome job of giving it a good cleaning. Make sure to run 2 or 3 pots of water through it after the vinegar.

Johnson said...

I have found a new love of vinegar this year!!!! Yeah!