Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pregnancy: Weeks 8 - 10

Wow, it is amazing how much your body changes from day one of pregnancy. I guess I always assumed that, because you don't start showing for a few months, things won't really be all that different. Needless to say...bad assumption. After the excruciating pains ended, the morning sickness began. But to give you a better picture, I would have to describe it more accurately as all day sickness. It's a vicious cycle of being hungry, eating, being nauseous for a few hours, throwing up, and being hungry again. What a drag. No matter how many times you tell yourself that morning sickness may be a part of the journey for you, there is absolutely no way to prepare for this one.

I was slowly making my way through it with crackers and coke (I'm pretty sure ginger ale is a scam) and although I was feeling lousy, I was at least making it through the day. Then I had my second check-up last Friday. Everything looked good. Blood pressure was great, I had only lost 3 pounds, got to see baby's heart flickering away. And the doctor and I discussed my morning sickness and I ended up saying I'd just try and wait it out without any meds. Big mistake.

Saturday came and I got hit like a semi truck. By Saturday night, I was so exhausted/hungry/frustrated that I called my mom in tears. I had only held down a small handful of crackers and just couldn't see how I was going to make it through the next week. So Monday morning I called the doctor. Thankfully, this time the nurse I spoke with had many more suggestions about eating habits, over the counter options, etc. By then I was at my wits end though, so I went with the hard stuff. $3 and a bottle of Phenergan later, and I feel like a new woman. Sure, it comes with some side effects (mostly drowsiness), but I would rather be sleepy and be able to eat than the alternative. So, praise the Lord, I am finally feeling a little better!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Better days area ahead :) So glad your mother was there for you! Love you!! Grammy/Mom2