Friday, October 30, 2009

Self-Absorbed

Wow, when Kevin and I entered the experience of becoming a USMC family, I never imagined it would be harder on him than it would on me. But after finally receiving my first letter from him today, I am realizing that just might be the case. It stands to reason. I mean, I am sitting at home, going through the normal daily routine. Wake up, work, eat, watch tv, sleep. Day in, day out. I'm getting notes, cards, phone calls and e-mails every day from people telling me how proud they are of Kevin, and that they are here if I need anything at all. He's the one who's been thrown into a completely new world where not only is everything new to him, but he has had absolutely no contact with the real world (and all of us who are supporting him from home) in almost two weeks.

I've been so wrapped up in pregnancy and morning sickness that I haven't even taken the time to think about how difficult this might be for Kevin. He has always been the strong one in our relationship. Not to say that I am weak (I am remembering how strong I am more and more every day) but in the context of our relationship, he has always been my rock. I just assumed that, because being a Marine was something he had dreamed of for so long, this would be a relatively easy process for him. But I guess the process can wear down even the toughest of minds.

If you haven't already, please take the time to write a note telling Kevin how proud you are of him. If you have a minute, say a prayer for his strength and peace of mind. I appreciate the prayers for myself, but I am FINE...please lift him up! If you need his address, let me know and I'll be sure to send it to you.

I am so excited about what this process is teaching us about ourselves and each other. I can't wait until all of his training is over and we can be together again as a family.

0 comments: