Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Steak 'n Shake

A late night college student's best friend. Stereotypical home of waitresses with poor dental hygiene. But that's to be expected.
But at the Steak 'n Shake where we live, I've had enough ridiculous experiences that it finally earned a place on the blog. Now let's be real. I don't have the highest expectations from a waitress at Steak 'n Shake. I'd be okay with average service as long as the food is good. But lately, every time I'm there I walk away shaking my head and trying to figure out what in the world just happened. Let's recap tonight's experience, shall we?
The "Have a seat/Seat yourself" sign was turned sideways leaving new customers confused from the moment they walk in the door. After waiting a few minutes, Kevin decided to seat himself. Only then did someone decide to show us to a table.
Our waitress seems pretty decent *sigh of relief*. That is, until Kevin decided to add an extra order of fries after we had already ordered our food. She looked at him like she had never heard of a french fry before. When we decided to order a dessert, Kevin asked her for a menu. She pointed to an advertisement on the side of the table and said "Well, we have these." To which kevin responded, "Is that the entire dessert menu?" Of course it wasn't. Weird.
I forgot to mention that while we waited for our food, at least two other customers had to walk up to the window and ask for something they didn't receive or had been messed up (something I've had to do there myself previously). What really boggles my mind is that the place wasn't crowded, and there were at least 5 waitresses. They simply had no interest in doing what their jobs entailed. Ridiculous.
Last but not least, we stood at the counter several minutes waiting to pay for our meal. Remember, the place isn't crowded...we were the only ones standing there. Several employees noticed us standing there, and simply ignored the fact...didn't even say that someone would be right with us. It took the cashier finally getting her head out of her butt and break away from what I'm sure was a thrilling conversation to check us out. I have never been closer to walking out of a restaurant without paying.

1 comments:

Crystal and David said...

Usually we have decent service at any given Steak and Shake, but I have had to wait SEVERAL minutes to pay before...when they aren't busy and there are plenty of staff. I suppose they just take for granted that people will wait as long as they have to in order to pay...annoying!