Monday, July 26, 2010

Ode to Walmart

Dear Walmart,

Over the years, we've had our ups and downs. You've always been my go-to for any and everything. But I'll never forget that one time, the night before Easter, when Jeanine and I were shopping and they announced that you were closing. You let me down then...we didn't think that could ever happen! But my attatchment to you grew even deeper during college. You provided not only my groceries and school supplies, but countless hours of entertainment, and possibly even the setting for a few dates.

There is some competition. Target is only a few miles away and, it pains me to say this, has WAY better clothes. Don't worry, their prices aren't as good. So you are still the object of my budget-conscious affection.

And today you really came through. You see, I have a two month old son. He eats A LOT...and formula is like gold around here. Thanks to some wise advice, and the encouragement of my Pediatrician, I have come to have a great appreciation for your Parent's Choice brand formula. It is $11 cheaper per can...that's almost half the price of the fancy stuff! Not only that, but rather than give any gross details, let's just say it makes baby's tummy happy. Even at half the price, formula ain't cheap. So to see any of it wasted is frustrating to say the least.

And waste has been a problem with the leaky bottles I cannot seem to get away from! Who wants to see all the formula wasted away either coming out between the nipple and the ring during mixing or travel, or simply pouring all over baby during feeding? I started with Avent bottles, and although I think I've found the trick to stop the leaking, it shouldn't be rocket science (especially not at $16 for two bottles!)! Then I got some Evenflo bottles ($10 for 3). Those didn't pour when tilted, but they leak when shaken, and don't travel well. Today I came across the Parent's Choice bottles for the first time. At 97 cents a pop, it was worth a shot. And wouldn't you know, not a single leak?!? Granted, I haven't traveled with it yet, but I'm giving it five stars so far.

So thank you Walmart, for once again making my day with great prices, and topping it off by providing some quality products as well. Today you did not disappoint.

0 comments: