Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Halloween

I've been itching to make another cake, but just haven't had a good excuse. But our annual church fall festival is tomorrow. And wouldn't you know it, they happen to be having a cake walk. So when my mom volunteered me to make a cake for our household, I decided to have some fun with it.

This time, it went much more smoothly. I planned ahead, laid out a step by step plan for each day, and things actually went according to plan. Woo hoo! There were a few snafu's when covering the actual pumpkin, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the results.

This was also my first attempt at a chocolate cake from scratch. And it was amazing. But I wonder who was the first person to think of adding boiling water to cake batter? In case you're wondering, it's four 8 inch layers of chocolate cake, chocolate filling with bits of candy corn, and the stem is made from rice krispy treats. It blows my mind that just a few days ago, this all started with two cups of sugar (well, other than the candy corn).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And I may or may not have thrown a spatula during a Tollhouse cookie baking incident 2 weeks ago. I'm very impressed.

Ashalee said...

Between you and Kelly you two could have an awesome business.This is amazing.