Friday, October 29, 2010

The 'Stang and the Squirrel

I'm not a member of PETA, but the thought of killing an animal makes me wanna throw up (well, every animal except for my neighbor's pesky dog). Don't get me wrong. I don't care if you hunt, fish or whatever else floats your boat. It's just not for me.

But tonight I did the unthinkable. I killed a squirrel. It ran in front of my car, and I didn't hit the brakes. Why, you ask? Well first, because I've heard too many stories of people getting in senseless accidents braking for pesky things like rodents. And second, because...when have you ever seen a squirrel not make it across the road before the car? I don't care how close it is, the squirrel always wins. Except tonight.

Tonight, as I was on my way home, I saw him coming, and I just kept going...and I didn't hear a "crunch"...but I definitely got his tail. :( I wasn't sure, so I checked in my rearview mirror. Bad idea. He was writhing around, trying to get up but immediately falling back over. It was awful. When I left the house again, he was still there. Obviously a casualty.

I already felt bad. But at least I didn't actually run the entire thing over...that's disgusting. Then, on my way home for the night, I made the mistake of forgetting. And wouldn't you know, I did it again. I heard the big "crunch" this time though. Oh well, at least I put him out of his misery.

1 comments:

Ashalee said...

What are the odds of that happening twice in one day? Craziness! I do not stop for them either though bc of the same reasons.