Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Today is officially mine and Kevin's three year anniversary. Definitely a cause for celebration. So Kevin tells me he'll take me anywhere I want to go for dinner. But how do I respond? No, I want to stay home and relax with you. So I created these great plans, trying to make today at least slightly more special than the rest. The menu was ambitious (for me, at least):
Salmon

Broccoli with cheese sauce
Baked Potatoes
Dinner Rolls
Sparkling Grape Juice
and for dessert...Apple Dumplings.

I know, I know...it sounds pretty simple. But cooking is not my forte, and I have never made apple dumplings before. And since Kevin has been begging me to make them for him, I figured tonight was a good night to
try. So my grandiose plans included sequestering Kevin in his office, so he wouldn't know exactly what I was making. Well after an hour or so of hearing me grumbling to myself and apologizing for there still being no food at 9:00, Kevin was even offering to help. Just when I thought the difficult stuff was over, and I could finish cooking and begin our romantic, candlelight dinner (no cliche' here, ha ha), a pot of boiling sugar water boiled over, nearly scorching both myself and the dog. Now I am running around like a maniac opening windows, trying to fan out the smoke, to avoid the screeching sound of the smoke detector. Disaster. Now Kevin is really curious, but I've kept him at bay for so long, there's no point in giving in now. So I throw the dumplings in the oven, finish cooking, and we sit down to dinner. Once we are finally at the table, my wonderful, loving husband looks at me and says "not to be rude, but what exactly took you so long?" (He was still not aware of the dumplings in the oven).

So we finally sat down to dinner at our kitchen table with the nice plates, candles lit, tall glasses of sparkling cider in the champagne flutes we used at our wedding reception, me with my hair in an updo wearing a little black dress, and Kevin in basketball shorts and a cutoff tee. And we laughed.
At how different we looked, at the disaster that I created that somehow turned into a decent meal, and at my failed attempt at a romantic meal. I would post pictures at the odd couple that we looked like, but we've lost our camera. I guess the moral of the story is to always be willing to laugh together, even if things don't turn out quite the way you plan.

By the way, the dumplings which gave me such a difficult time turned out great, in case you were wondering!

In the beginning...

Yes, we are retarded

We're engaged!


The Webb Family

Three years, one house, and two dogs later

3 comments:

Keith Courtney said...

You are a good writer! This story was great! I like the posts below too though.... call me a subscriber! lol

Johnson said...

How sweet!!!!

By the way, when you start a blog you are supposed to TELL people you started a blog so that we can actually read it. And you ARE a good writer.

-Kelly

Grammy said...

I'm happy you're starting to blog, Brittany, because you are truly a good story teller. Aside from that, we don't get to hear about your day-to-day events of life because we live so far away. So I welcome your stories, comments, sentiments and the opportunity to learn more about our wonderful daughter-in-law. Love you! Mom (Webb)