Monday, September 15, 2008

Lucky Aunt!

If you know me at all, you know that Kevin and I live hundreds of miles away from all of our family members. The hardest part of this for me is being away from our nieces. They are right in the middle of the best, cutest years ever, and I feel like I am missing it all! And I hate it! Kourtney and McKenna are two of the cutest little girls ever, and I consider myself lucky to be their Aunt. I have pictures of them on my desk at work, and people always think they are my own. Well Kevin's mom told me how much the girls love stories, so Kourtney this one is for you.

When Kevin and I had been dating for only a month, he took me to his sister's house in Miami for Spring Break. This was the first time I met Kourtney. She was so sweet, and we got to play with her, babysit for a few hours, and even spend a day at the beach...but not on the sand...Kourtney was not a fan of the sand on her feet. Little did I know back then that I would get to be this cute little girl's Aunt. During that time, Kelly was also greatly pregnant with Luke...or so we thought.

Kourtney on the beach

Love that smile!

Four months later, Kevin and I got engaged, and that very same week, a baby (to later be named McKenna) was born. Just six weeks later, Kevin and I got married, and we got to meet McKenna for the first time. She was so tiny! But it was Kourtney who stole the show. Of course, she was the prerequisite flower girl, and what an adorable one she was! From what I'm told, she refused to throw the petals (hey, she wasn't even 2 yet!), so Kelly dumped them for her. And from there, panic ensued...as did some great pictures!

Still not sure how she feels about me

I wish I could've seen this unfold...

And full-on tantrum!

Our only picture of baby McKenna

Now everyone knows that with marriage comes great compromise as far as the holidays are concerned. For Kevin and I, it has never really been a problem. We go to my parent's for Thanksgiving, and his for Christmas. Our time in Louisiana for Christmas is one of my most anticipated times of the year. It's the only time that I am guaranteed to see my precious nieces. I love getting to play dress-up, Barbies, Polly Pocket, and whatever else their little hearts desire. For several days, my most important role in life is that of "Aunt Brittany."

Coloring with Kourtney Christmas 2006

Kevin making Kourtney a reindeer

McKenna finally cooperating for a picture...so she could get a make-over

Silliness at the bowling alley

Kourtney the ham

Chaos in a restaurant :)

Occasionally, we get the chance to vacation in Miami, or the Johnson family rolls through town and stops in to see us. One of my favorite stories is from this past Winter. I'll try my best to relay it secondhand. Kelly and Travis had their family in Cleveland, TN for the weekend, and they ended up having lunch with Kevin and Kelly's cousin Brittany who goes to Lee. Apparently the whole time, Kourtney was confused as to who she was, and McKenna kept asking where Uncle Kevin was. After lunch was over, Kourtney asked when she got to see the real Aunt Brittany...precious! The following day, they stopped in Atlanta on their way back to Miami, and we all met up for dinner. Typically, when we go to dinner with the kids, all thoughts of proper social behavior go out the window, and I soak up every minute I can with my nieces. And this time was no exception. Kourtney and I were having a blast, and she was showing me her latest trick, crossing her eyes (adorable)! While looking at me with her eyes crossed, she said "There are two of you! Can I take one home?" Talk about melting your heart, I wanted to put her in my purse and sneak her out of the restaurant! I think I will always cherish that memory.


On vacation in Miami

As I'm sure you can see, I love being an Aunt! I love spending time with Kourtney who loves everyone, and is always up for a good time. And McKenna, who is her own child and as strong-willed as any I've ever met, but deep down I know she loves me. I didn't even mention Blake, the sweetest little nephew a girl could ever have. I wish that I had more chances to hang out with them and spoil them. But for now, I will just have to live vicariously through Kelly's blog and the occasional visit and phone call. I love you guys, and I consider myself a very, very lucky Aunt!

Blake Christmas 2007

They brought Blake to visit this summer!

FYI, I wish there were more pictures of myself and McKenna. But if I were to post my attempts, you would see why there aren't. She is definitely an independent little girl. So I am not playing favorites with Kourtney, she just loves taking pictures and I love taking advantage of that! Hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

Johnson said...

You made this mommy/sister-in-law cry!!!!!

WE LOVE YOU!

-Kelly

Anonymous said...

That was a really sweet post! Those kids are lucky to have you as an aunt and btw, it's a million times better when you have your own!!! I had 6 neices/nephews before I had my first son and I worried I would never love him as much as I did all them... crazy how much love we really have, huh?