Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Adventures in Cooking

So here is my latest adventure into the world of healthy (well, healthier) eating.  I went all out this week at the grocery store and bought some fresh fruits and veggies that have never entered the doors of this house before.  Cantaloupe, Honeydew Melon, Watermelon, Plums, Mangos, Squash, Zucchinis, Cucumbers and Sweet Potatoes (no, I have no idea why I capitalized all of my produce).  Now not all of these are new to me, but I'm just not the type to buy this much produce.  It usually ends up being a waste of money.  But tonight I sit here watching The Biggest Loser, eating a freshly cut bowl of canteloupe and telling you about my latest cooking adventure...sweet potato fries.


Yes, ha ha.  Everything I listed is tame and boring but I will remind you that Kevin and I (well mostly me) aren't very adventurous eaters, particularly when it comes to produce.  But sweet potatos were on sale this week, and Kevin has wanted to try out one of our wedding gifts.  Three years ago we received a curly fry maker and have yet to take it out of the box.  Now when it comes to the appliance, I can't say I recommend it.  Let's just say that halfway through I gave up and so half of our fries were curly and half were straight.  I made them first last night.  I tried to go sweet with them, and I wasn't entirely satisfied.  But tonight I went for salty, and they turned out much better.  Pretty good, in fact.  I can say that sweet potatoes may becomes  a staple in the Webb household.  

I've also come to a realization about why I hate to cook so much and why I'm not that good at it.  Spices.  Aside from the very basics (salt, pepper, garlic, sugar, cinnamon) I have no idea what spices taste good together and on what foods.  So I think spices are my next challenge to tackle in the kitchen.  Any advice?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Use fresh garlic. It makes it seem like you know what you're doing, but it's REALLY easy to use.

Other than that, I look at what spices cook books put together and create little spice families in my head. I have this one recipe that calls for garlic, paprika, onion, and lemon. It tastes yummy and sometimes I use that little family in other recipes.