Friday, March 19, 2010

He Liked It...

So he put a ring on it. Five years ago this July, my then-boyfriend of 5 and a half months asked me to marry him. And he put a ring on it. This one, to be exact.

Then, a short month and a half later, it was a done deal. We were married. It seems like forever, yet like no time at all. And I am proud. Not in a "pride comes before a fall" kind-of way, but proud that, every time I look at my left ring finger, I get a reminder of the commitment I made to myself, my husband and God. I like knowing that when I'm out in public those symbols are clearly displayed for all the world to see.

So when I woke up recently with swollen fingers and realized it was time for the rings to come off, it was a little disheartening for me. I walked around for a few weeks with only my wedding band, but after another middle-of-the-night swelling incident, that one had to come off too. (Side note: there is something about having a ring stuck on your finger that can ensue panic like nothing else. Why is that, when you can simply go to any fire department and have the ring cut off?)

So I made a choice. I will not walk around with a naked finger for the next two months. Particularly what with me being knocked up and all. So one short trip to the mall later, and I emerged victorious with a $10.50 fake ring that will do until the real one can resume its place on my non-pregnant finger.Just out of curiosity, am I alone in this? Anyone else feel the same way?

3 comments:

Crystal and David said...

While I did not go out and buy a replacement (but bravo to the great idea...I will keep that in mind next time), I was extremely self-conscious when I had to take the ring off. For one, I did miss the fact that the symbol that we chose for our commitment to one another was no longer visible (and wearing it on a necklace is NOT the same, no matter what others say!); but I also felt like others were judging me because I was pregnant and at least appeared unmarried (though I know I am not supposed to worry about what others think). You are not alone; we girls really are extremely sentimental and thoughtful. By the way, you look so beautiful!

Johnson said...

There is a reason I love you so much! You are too cute. I love the idea. While my hands did not swell so bad that I had to take my wedding ring off, I imagine I would have felt the same way as you.

I also love remembering when Kevin said you guys were engaged... and then getting married so soon. I loved your wedding. It was so absolutely perfect I wish everyone could get the idea of simple like you guys did.

Anyways, love ya girlie, Chase's Aunt Kelly :) (I love hearing that)

BrittanyWebb said...

Crystal, thanks for the affirmation. I didn't write it in the blog, but I definitely feel a little judged always walking around town by myself or with my parents. I agree on the necklace thing, too (plus I was NOT interested in the possibility of a clasp breaking and losing my grandmother's antique ring!! Thanks!

AUNT Kelly, thanks so much! I loved our wedding too, although I would have done things just a little bit differently. But as far as the timeline, I would not have changed a thing! Hopefully we get to see you soon! Love ya!